Thank you for your interest in the National School District (NSD) Preschool program! We want to make your child's first school experience a positive one that will create an enthusiasm for learning that will last a lifetime.
Due to COVID-19, services may be provided in person, distance learning, or a combination depending on the requirements at the time of opening. NSD Preschool will follow all safety guidance from Community Care Licensing and Federal and State guidance in support of COVID-19.
We offer State and Federal programs as well as pay options for National City families and outside residents. We offer English and Dual Language (50% English, 50% Spanish) classes.
Preschool School Sites
Classes are held at eight of our ten elementary schools within the district.
- El Toyon
- John Otis
- Las Palmas
- Palmer Way
- Preschool Center / Lincoln Acres
We enroll four and three year old children in priority order by qualification.
- Children must be fully potty-trained
- Child's birth date must be between 12/3/2015 and 9/1/2017
- If your child's birth date is between 9/2/2017 and 12/2/2017, you can apply once the child turns three
- Program eligibility is determined by age, federal / state income guidelines, and residency.
- The program welcome the enrollment of children with disabilities and other special needs.
- There is no cost for participation for qualifying families.
- Acceptance to the program will be confirmed after review of application and ranked according to established program priorities.
- Priority is given to National City children who turn 4 by September 1.
- All federal and state qualified children will be placed prior to enrolling children in the pay option.
How Do I Apply?
The NSD Preschool Office is not open to the public at this time.
Step 1: Online Survey
Please complete this initial interest survey. This survey is the first step of the eligibility process for preschool. Once the initial interest survey is received, someone from the NSD Preschool office will contact you for a phone appointment to review your income and family size.
You will need a Google Gmail account to complete the survey. If you need assistance in creating a Google Account, please view our tutorial:
Step 2: Phone Appointment
For your phone appointment with preschool staff, you will need to have documents available. This appointment will help determine federal or state eligibility.
1. Current income -- all that apply
a. including pay stubs, taxes, and any source of income to verify eligibility
b. income should be current and cover the current month
2. Names and birthdates of ALL children residing in the home and counted in your family size age 17 years and younger.
Step 3: In-Person Appointment
After the phone appointment if your child is determined eligible for preschool, an in-person appointment will be established to verify income, family size, and collect required documentation. Please see the "Documents Needed" section to ensure that you have everything needed at the time of appointment. If all documents are not available, please call to reschedule your appointment as we will not be able to complete your registration.
Due to COVID-19, the in-person appointment will be scheduled by the office to ensure all social distancing guidelines are followed. What is requested during the in-person appointment may also be adjusted depending on the required documents of federal and state programs.
1. Current Proof of Family Income -- all that apply
a. Pay stubs
b. Disability, Unemployment Income Statements, SSI
c. Current Documentation of Cash Assistance
d. Income Taxes for 2019
2. Original Birth Certificate(s) of ALL children residing in the home and counted in your family size age 17 years and younger
3. Immunization Record
a. must be up-to-date
4. One Proof of Residency
a. must be current
b. acceptable proof: SDG&E Bill, Telephone, Cable, Water, Trash, or Rental Contract
c. NOT acceptable proof: Cell Phone bills, Bank statements, Driver's License, California ID cards, and Credit Card statements
* Please note that additional documents may be requested to meet eligibility requirements.
Step 4: Preparing for Preschool
Once the child is determined eligible for preschool and all required documents have been collected, the Preschool office staff will work with you on next steps.
- May need to complete additional forms for Federal, State, Community Care Licensing, and the National School District.
- With noted health issues, will be contacted by the preschool health team to complete any necessary paperwork.
- Will attend orientation prior to the child's first day of school
Upon entry into the program, the child will need:
- A current physical (including TB) - form will be provided
- A current dental - form will be provided
Please note if the medical documents are not current, the child will not be able to participte in the program.
If you have any questions, please send your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank you for your interest in the National School District Preschool Program!
We look forward to serving your child and your family!